Monday, February 25, 2008

Wii Smackdown with the Friars

Last night, we were invited to Br. Mariano's parents home for a night of delicious Italian food and gaming fun. I had never seen a Wii before, but at evening's end, I was aching and sweaty after having bounced my way around the D. family's den!! B. and C. were exhausted, as well. I never thought video gaming would be such great exercise!


Br. Mariano is a fellow celiac sufferer, so his mama knew just how to feed me. Very satisfying and delicious!! I also learned several things from her. Among other things, I need to go buy a bread machine so I don't have to eat frozen rice-pecan bread from Central Market (very gummy). I also need to procure some gluten-free hosts (can you imagine that??). I am going to go by the Friary tomorrow and pick some up.


Diet report -- this celiac thing is really finicky. I am still not back to normal, and I find gluten in the darndest places! Chicken broth, soy milk, cream cheese, bleu cheese, spring rolls (bound shut with gluten stuff!). There are a lot of hits and misses these days --that's why Br. Mariano tells me I have to read every label. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.



In the midst of boxing Fr. Michael. I KO'ed him the third round -- he defeated me in a re-match.

This is hard work for a student who rarely gets up off her behind to exercise.


B. is down for the count after a strenuous game of bowling.

DH and Br. Mariano try their hand at boxing (I think that was boxing!).

Good thing there are straps to avoid injury to plasma tv! Looks like skiing.


Fr. Michael and the girls play some sort of driving game.



Br. Mariano shows B. the finer techniques of beating her sister up in boxing.


B. wins!

Br. Peter opts out of the Wii competition to talk with DH and Br. Patrick.


DH and Br. Patrick relax after spaghetti and sausage. YUM!


Br. Mariano and C. channel George Foreman and Mike Tyson as Fr. Michael cools down after being KO'ed by yours truly.

Br. Peter and Brigid enjoy a tame and civilized game of bowling.



Br. Mariano's mom and dad were the hosts of this fine get-together.

More competition and exercise.


C. shows off her right hook.

My Wii mii (pronounced wee mee!)

Another round of boxing -- this time I was soundly beat.

6 comments:

Louie said...

Hahaha!!! I'd have loved to see the video! Everybody was waaaay into that boxing! What a fun evening. And how was the pasta prepared and what kind was it? Or was there pasta of some kind?

Can you tolerate small amounts of gluten, or do you need to cut it out all together? I ask in relation to gluten-free hosts. It got me to thinking about what was "enough" and what was "too much" when it comes to what you can tolerate. What kinds of grains *can* you eat?

Bread machine: I have a Breadman TR2200C that I really, really like. Very easy to program and use. I've been really happy with it (if you need an opinion on them).

pam said...

I'll email you more in detail later, but to answer your question, no -- I cannot tolerate any amount of gluten. I got sick on risotto made with chicken stock Saturday night. I became ill from one Danactive yogurt (until this a.m. when I checked its safety on celiac.com). Seems that anything from trace amounts to hunks of bread have the same kind of effect. Philly cream cheese did me in last night. What a bummer!!

I'm gonna get me a Breadman this afternoon. Thanks for the help. You should join me on this diet. We'll both be around longer to pester each other!

Louie said...

I'm there with you! Now I need to find out if there is gluten in beer. HORRORS!!! I know if I go back on Paleo it's naturally gluten-free. You don't have to worry about finding substitutes for stuff; you just don't eat them. I might eat a couple of slices of bread on the weekend ... something to hold the almond butter (no peanuts ... they're legumes). I also don't drink milk because I'm a different species and I don't need bovine enzymes.

pam said...

Sorry, friend. Beer is a culprit. I know that is tough news for you. But perhaps an occasional beer will be ok. I can't touch it because my intestines are so burned up now. Check out this link: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30583.asp

Jody said...

You also need to not allow gluten filled products to even come in contact with non-gluten stuff....for instance, your cutting board must be designated gluten free. Your stuff has to be kosher in relation to gluten. I'll e-mail you a link right now.

Louie said...

Well, then ... new goal! Start brewing gluten-free beer!!! You know my penchant for off-the-wall stuff anyway. Maybe develop some new braggots (beverage brewed with honey as a mead but with grains or malts added) for celiacs. Adventure!