It is with heavy heart that I reveal the big Lenten penance that will last for the rest of my life. I discovered (after a year of intestinal distress) yesterday that I have inherited celiac disease from my esteemed father. No more French, Sourdough, Whole Wheat or White Bread anymore. No more beloved pie crusts. And beer. Grrrrrr. No more Torta Rustica, Jojo!!!!! No more nights at Cici's with a plate of cinnamon rolls to Hoover. It's all over just like that. This is just short of hell on earth, because this girl prefers a piece of bread spread with tub margarine (I know...but I love it) and Diet Coke to desserts any day.
Celiac occurs most frequently in those with Italian (1 in 250) and Irish (1 in 300)heritages. I fit neatly into the latter category. Most cases of celiac are not diagnosed, too. People just live with these miserable symptoms which can result in anemia, osteoporosis, organ failure and lymphatic cancer. I just thought my symptoms were from school stress or my aunt's death. Not. And as I mentioned above, it is hereditary, so watch out.
I must mention, after all this grousing, that I feel good this morning. Yesterday was my first gluten-free day, and I feel good. None of those pesky symptoms that have been badgering me for almost one year. Went to Central Market and stocked up on Rice Bread and rice crackers along with rice and corn pasta. Did I mention I can't eat regular pasta anymore?
Here is a link to a celiac site -- please check it out.
http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_defined.php
By the way, Lent is going very well. I've been spending a lot of time in front of the abortion mills, at daily Mass and in Adoration. That's why I've been away from the blog -- but I will return because my "public" misses me.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh man! Are you kidding?!!!
I have a bunch of links for you, but I will e-mail them to you.
I would cry without bread. But! There are things you can do to make life interesting. Did you know there is gluten free beer? Yes way!
Off to send you some linkie love!
Post a Comment