Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fresh from Utopia

At table -- finishing up with a cup of coffee at The Lauryl Tree. Romaine -- I'm wearin' the Traders' Dress!

Lauryl Waters is the owner of the best restaurant in South Texas!


Deer party every morning and evening in the "back yard."


A portion of the back 4,000 (as opposed to 40).

This view greeted me each morning when I awakened.

Looking south through the arches on the side of the house.

My view from a lounge chair -- this past Thursday through Sunday.

My friend's house sits on a hill overlooking the valley.

View of the valley and front yard/pool from the sun room.




This past weekend, I had the pleasure of hanging out in lower South Texas with a childhood friend at her family's ranch retreat. She knew I had had a tough semester, and was ready for some relaxation. So there you have it. We didn't do much, although we nearly ran over a 350-pound hyrid pig (cross between feral domestic pig and a Russian boar). Not cool -- quite scary, in fact. We didn't hit any deer either [getting "doed"](although they were all over the place), and we had a marvelous dinner at The Lauryl Tree restaurant. We called about my celiac issue, and the dear girl made me both entrees so I could choose when I got to the restaurant. Here is what we had:

Goat cheese stuffed Peppadew, caper berry, olive and salami
Roasted sugar snap pea, asparagus and mint soup
Mixed greens with yellow tomatoes, red onion, feta, cranberries and white balsamic vinaigrette
Sablefish filet with sweet peppers, crispy bacon and onion
Purple potatoes, carrots and green beans
Carpaccio of pineapple with berries, vanilla whipped cream and mint.


I HIGHLY recommend this lovely place if you are remotely close (yes, a drive from San Antonio or Fredericksburg would be worth it). The owner is lovely, and this meal was only $35 per person. Oh yes, and it's BYOB to keep costs down. Do try it, won't you!!

Attention to my almost-sister who has in-laws living in Fredericksburg -- you guys need to leave the kids with B. and S. and GO TO THIS PLACE!!!



**My gracious friend didn't want to be pictured on the blog -- so I had to cut her out of the photos :(


6 comments:

Jody said...

Absolutely gorgeous. The Hill Country is the most STUNNING place evah!

I see you on a hunk of burning land like that one day, doc. I am thinking you need to start snooping for some hot deals in the Fredericksburg area (one thing we can thank the Democrats for). There, you will be close to vinyards, fine dining and most excellent views.

Love that pool. Am trying to convince Bill that we need a pool in our backyard. he is not keen on it, but I am working on him. ;*)

pam said...

You are absolutely correct on all counts!! The Hill Country is truly God's country. And yes, they have some amazing real estate deals down there. Santa Fe or Fredericksburg?? Hmmm.

Seriously, you guys need to visit this restaurant. And you need to BUILD A POOL!! M. is old enough now, and you'll never know what you did without one.

romaine said...

Hi Pam!

gosh - loveliness all over the place! you look great in the traders next to the awesome fireplace. and such a picturesque place.

If you know, what kind of trees are those? Are they Lauryl as the restaurant name suggests? They remind me of some oak species (my fave).

Have you seen all the clothes sales going on?

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! romaine

pam said...

Romaine!
Thank you! I wore that Traders' Dress with you in mind :)

The trees are live oaks -- they are all over the place. We seem to have live oaks every where you look in Texas. And they are my favorite, too. I have them in my front yard!

YES!! I need to email you off-blog about the sale insanity. I am having a terrible time with one item at Bird. A 3.1 Phillip Lim Robe Dress. Did you see it?? I am wanting that dress rather severely.

Anonymous said...

I say Santa Fe. I'm all about some hill country Texas, but Santa Fe is more adventurous and exciting to your Arkansas children! ;-)
Glad you had a nice relaxing time away. I know you deserved it!

pam said...

Jillian,
So noted! I think you'll most likely get your wish!!

And yes, I did need a break -- you saw how frazzled I was in March. And in April (the kitchen catastrophe!!!).