Sunday, March 22, 2009

Our Lady and Fr. Oscar

The day before we returned home, we went to the Shrine for Our Lady of Guadalupe on Agua Fria and Guadalupe in Santa Fe.

Brigid adoring the crucifix in front of the Shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe.

The Shrine, which was built around 1776 -- go here for more information on this magnificent shrine to Our Lady.

Our Lady of Guadalupe is remembered in this relatively recent sculpture in front of the shrine on Guadalupe.


The girls with Fr. Oscar Coelho, who is a priest at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis. We saw him at the shrine on Friday, his day off. During our stay, Brigid, Frank and I (and Cait when she wasn't asleep) went to Mass every day at St. Francis; Fr. Oscar presided over Mass Sunday through Thursday.

The always smiling and very affable Fr. Oscar always makes a point of having visitors raise their hands and say where they are from. Brigid brought lots of smiles by raising her hand, and each day people remembered the little strawberry blonde in the Tony Romo jersey (remember the one I washed four days in a row!) from Texas. Fr. Oscar is truly one of the happiest people/priests I have ever met. It was quite surprising to find out that his father is very sick in India -- halfway around the world from Santa Fe.

This priest is able to be an amazing servant to his "flock" in spite of the suffering he must endure. We pray for Fr. Oscar and his dad, and we thank God for such an amazing priest. I loved how he says at the end of daily Mass, "It's 12:39 and you are loved," then he says a bit later, "It's 12:41 and you are still loved." I will remember his strength when I am upset over nothing, which is usually the case.



No comments: