My poor father is horrified that we don't have a Christmas tree up. We're really not Scrooging, Christmas just crept up on us. But things have slowed temporarily -- enough for me to visit Best Buy this a.m. and purchase a card reader.
Last night was our sixth anniversary as Dr. and Mrs. (almost Dr.), so we celebrated at an amazing wine cellar/restaurant in our fair city's downtown area. The guys who work there are so knowledgable about wine (the owner used to be the "wine guy" at Del Frisco's). We brought home seven bottles of holiday cheer to keep us warm during these cold days. My favorite is the Hess Select Chardonnay. Don't laugh, this is no grocery store Chardonnay. It's smooth and buttery -- putting Cakebread and Rombauer to shame. And most surprising the cost is less than 1/3 the price of the more popular (read expensive) Napa chards. We enjoyed the nicest tawny port from Portugal, too.
I've posted a picture of C. in her new thrift store find. She has a friend who loves to hunt through the bins and racks at the local ARC Thrift Store looking for costumes for her movies. She took C. along, and my girl was hooked. The plaid dress was the find of the month, and she put her outfit together so nicely for a Christmas party she attended on Friday night. She paired it with Ed Hardy tennis shoes and her Nightmare Before Christmas blanket procured at Disneyland last year. I spend all that cash at Totokaelo, and here she looks like a million in a $5 dress. Youth.
Other pictures are from Thanksgiving where my dear husband made me an organic turkey (from Whole Foods) that had gluten-free stuffing in it. The recipe was found in the November issue of Domino (my favorite home decorating magazine). Absolutely delicious. Of course, Mom made the old Spears family traditional bird and dressing, and it was yummy, too. But I found it charming that my dh made me my own personal turkey.
I finished my paper for New Orleans. Well, for now. That is, until Simon tears it up, bloodies it, and emails it back to me. That's ok -- I'm getting tougher about that kind of thing! We (our university contingent) leave the second week of January. The second day there, I have an appointment to talk to the Politics Editor from a publishing house in New York. She is interested in my presentation and research and wants to "talk about it." We'll see what happens...

2 comments:
What an adorable dress. I lvoe her style. There are some amazing Ed Hardy shoes in Corpus that she would love and hey are on sale!!
Looks like you guys had a fabulous Thanksgiving.
As for the tree...when I was really little, Santa used to bring our tree. So, when Cory was born, we did that the first few years. Some people put it up and decorate it on Christmas Eve and keep it up through the 12 days.
The wine sounds lovely. We are having some Chianti this evening, with fried and raw oysters and homemade tamales!
Love you! Merry Christmas!
I need to talk to you about the Ed Hardy shoes down there!
I loved hearing about your tree tradition when you were little. That's the way Christmas should be -- I think we'll just borrow that tradition from the R. family :).
I want to see some photos of your multiple sea creatures dinner that you usually do on Christmas Eve. Those tamales cannot be beat! Especially in your neck of the woods.
Love to you guys, too!! Merry Christmas!!
Post a Comment