Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Back From Napa

Returned Sunday from four days in the fabulous Napa Valley -- phase one of Angel's 50th birthday celebration. Phase Two is coming up in a couple of weeks...more on that later! Had a wonderful time with lots of great gals and lots (LOTS) of great wine. "Crush" is happening right now in the Valley, so the air is thick with the luscious smell of grapes.

We had wine tastings (the one at Swanson was TOPS) and dinner at L'Auberge du Soleil, Meadowood and Tra Vigne. Lunch at Bistro Jeanty, Brix and Taylor's Refresher (the best hamburger I ever had). A three hour lunch was had at Bistro Jeanty -- I had a perfect Salad Nicoise and fried smelt in a spicy aioli sauce. One of the best lunches by far was had outside the Napa Olive Oil store in St. Helena (where our resort was located). We bought cheeses, pepperoni, Diet Cokes and bread (our driver Mitchell located some wine for us), and we lunched on a picnic bench under the trees. PERFECT!!

Favorite wines are Alexis by Swanson (heck, anything by Swanson is FABULOUS!!), Far Niente, El Molino, and Cakebread Chardonnay (not their reds!). I also ordered some chocolate port sauce from Jessup Winery (the vinter used to be with Opus One in their heyday). That will be awesome with some Bluebell vanilla, no?

Went to St. Helena Church on Sunday to top off a fabulous long weekend. Can't believe I was able to drag myself to 8 a.m. Mass!! It was so worth it, though. We left Napa at 2:30, dropped off Angel and her friends in her homebase and then K Air flew me back to my home -- back home to F 30 minutes later where I shared the spoils of my adventure with him. We broke open the Alexis, had some fig cake, cheese and warmed-up dinner that my sweet husband made for me. It is soooooooo good to be home.


On the road to Swanson Winery in Rutherford


At the Cakebread tasting...


Dinner at Trav Vigne -- Angel's birthday cake is on the table with several bottles of Far Niente!


Inside the caves of Rombauer (WONDERFUL Chardonnay).


Our lovely picnic in St. Helena.


The wine tasting at Swanson.




Shawn -- the sommolier -- pours some of the best wine on earth!




The gardens outside Swanson.




Mitchell, our driver, served as our papparazzi for three days. So he would pop into a restaurant in which we were eating, snap our picture and leave. We Texas girls are a mess.



Jen and me outside Tra Vigne.


Ready to leave Angel's homebase for Napa Airport. One of the girls brought boas for us all to wear.




Here is what greeted us at Napa Airport. I told C I felt like I was on "Pimp My Ride."






A walk on the trails surrounding Meadowood. My new friend Jolyn took this picture.






Jolyn and I shared this lovely little cottage on the side of the hill. The other girls were close by in their suites.




My FAVORITE winery -- Swanson vineyards. Our cutie pie sommolier Shawn joined us in front of the casks.





1 comment:

Louie said...

That is simply awesome! I have no words ... and you know that's just not me. Should I be looking for UPS and a case of wine? ;-) It certainly looks like everyone had a ball. How was your gift received. Simply awesome.