Saturday, September 1, 2007

Bob Newhart Theme in my Head....

Yes, it's been a while since the last post. As most of you figured, I started school again, and thus a life of rigorous work has resumed. However, I did find time to make it to Chicago for the American Political Science Association convention this week. No, I didn't have any exciting private plane adventures. I mingled with self-absorbed scholars. It's ok -- being a PhD student, one has his or her lunches, dinners and drinks paid for by those who already have the degree. That makes for a relatively cheap trip.

My slave-driver (professor) joined me up there on Wednesday, and we went to a workshop on using statistical programs for political network analysis. I know that sounds really exciting to most of you, but we enjoyed the nine-hour class (whew!). Tuesday, I had the opportunity to look around the Windy City. It was actually extremely hot and I was a sweatball after walking down the Magnificent Mile. Amazingly, I didn't buy anything except numerous jugs of bottled water. I was overheated and didn't feel like venturing into dressing rooms.

My hotel was the Hyatt on Wacker Drive, and it was terrific -- I recommend it if you can get a room away from the elevators (it took two room changes for me to accomplish a noise-free environment). For dinner, I recommend Volare. Some friends down here recommended it, and it was fabulous Italian food. I have honestly never had better.

Chicago was nice -- it was my first trip here. Very New York - lite.

Millennium Park a couple of blocks from the Hyatt


A Moose on Michigan Avenue (for C)

One of the many views of Millennium Park.


Walking from Millennium Park to Michigan Avenue.



Looking down Michigan Avenue (Lord, it was HOT!)


The Chicago River running under Michigan Avenue (Bob Newhart theme here)



Looking down the river towards Lake Michigan -- my hotel is on the right (Hyatt)

2 comments:

Louie said...

But what about the weather? Looks a little hot ... There's something decidedly uncomfortable about northern cities when it's hot that is somehow different and more miserable than summer in the South could ever be.

I thought engineers were bad, getting excited over analysis programs!

pam said...

it was in the upper 90s on tuesday...and I thought it was hot at home!!!