
We had the Friars over for dinner last night, and I decided to try out this new recipe from this month's issue of Bon Appetit. It was amazing. Just amazing. We used lamb, as the recipe called for, and I was astounded at how well the spices complemented the flavor of the lamb. Ground beef is just not an acceptable substitute in this dish. We also served it over gluten-free spaghetti since I have the celiac thing going on.
In summary, this dish is amazing! Didn't I say that earlier?
Cincinnati Chili
serves 8
4 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 c. chopped yellow onion
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 pounds ground lamb
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 t. allspice
1-1/2 t. cinnamon
1-1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. ground cloves
4-2/3 c. low-sodium beef broth (I used Pacific Fine Foods)
1/3 c. tomato paste
3 T apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 T chili powder
1 T dried oregano
1 T packed brown sugar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 pound spaghetti
2 15-oz. cans of kidney beans
Coarsely grated Gouda or cheddar cheese
chopped onions
Heat 2 T oil in large dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; saute' until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, stir 1 minute. Add lamb and cook until browned. Add cocoa and next 4 ingredients and stir 3 minutes. Stir in 4 c broth and next 6 ingredients. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered until thickened. Stir often and cook for one hour. Spoon fat from top of chili. Season with salt and pepper. Thin with broth by 1/3 cupfuls.
Meanwhile, cook spaghetti. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss spaghetti with beans and other 2 T oil. Divide spaghetti among bowls and top with chili. Garnish with chopped onions, cheese and italian parsley (i didn't use the parsley b/c I don't care for it).

2 comments:
Yum!! There's my dinner tonight. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks sis!
Yes, let me know!! Everyone should love it!!! You're welcome, sista!
Post a Comment