Monday, January 5, 2009

Greetings from "The Happiest Place on Earth!"

The High School Musical 3 stage show is about to get its newest star...

Bee! One of the performers pulled her out of the crowd to join in the first number.

Bee twirling her red streamers during the HM3 production.


The view outside our hotel room at the Grand Californian (that's the monorail below that runs right through our hotel!).

Dinner at Napa Rose.


Bee loved dancing with the cast members in HM3. They're so good to kids with disabilities out there -- Disney people that is.



More dancing and fun in the HM3 show.


Kiss me, doctor!


Bee loves Cee!


Waiting to hang glide in Soaring over California.


Disney Travel gives everyone in your party a free lanyard and pin -- then the kids want to buy more pins for the lanyard. Marketing geniuses at Disney.

The lovely orange-red of a California tomato and a teenager with Eeyore ears.

Bee loves the new Toy Story arcade ride in California Adventure.


So does Cee!

She wanted some Eeyore ears -- love the tuft of black hair on top.

On Mullholland Madness mini rollercoaster.


Lovin' the sun after several days of rain and fog


I'm sick, but very happy!


The Chef at Plaza Inn made a plate of gluten-free Mickey waffles for us! YUM!

The girls with a lovable, sad little donkey named Eeyore!

A clever Mad Hatter visited us at our Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn, MK

Of course, Minnie stopped by.
At the character breakfasts, you are presented with a breakfast buffet (usually pretty tasty), and while you eat, all these characters come by for a photo and autograph. If you haven't been to Disneyland (or Disneyworld), buy each of your kids an autograph book when you enter the park. Cee bought one that has photo inserts so you can slide a photo like the one below in next to Max's autograph.




Chip and Dale and Captain Hook (one of Bee's favorites!). That's a pen in C's hand -- not a knife!


Tigger was my favorite back in 1973, when I first went to Disneyland with my folks & bro. However, his costume has definitely changed since then!




As I write this post, I am counting the minutes until I can go to the doctor. Nope -- my husband is no good to me as I am over the age of 18 (he's a pediatrician, you know). I have an ear infection, RSV (he thinks), laryngitis, and a severely strained lower back from trying to "catch" my "baby" when she jumped from a taxi van at the John Wayne airport. No, it wasn't moving. She's ok, I'm not.

So here are some photos from three full days spent at "The Happiest Place on Earth." The kids had a great time, and I did too, in spite of the illness that plagued me during the trip. Hubby was such a trooper. He pretty much did whatever the kids told him to do for four days. That is really something! Thanks, HP!!

Photos were taken in the two parks at Disneyland -- Magic Kingdom and California Adventure (the latter we really liked because it was less crowded than the MK). Other photos are from Napa Rose, a supremely wonderful restaurant in our hotel, where the Chef delighted us with a four-course dinner including: lobster tamales, scallops in lobster sauce, lamp chops in wild mushroom sauce and lemon creme brulee for dessert. For Hubby and me, we had four different wine pairings with each course (no -- we were not driving). Both kids cleaned their plates, and C. spotted a rock and roll persona there with his kids. No -- she would not let me go ask him for a picture. Moms are so embarrassing, you know. The restaurant is touted as the best in Orange County, and I second that. We will definitely go again next year.

Celiac update -- again, neither Bee nor I got sick in California. Disneyland even has a handout, which you can pick up at Guest Relations, that shows all the gluten-free menu offerings in all the restaurants and food stands in both parks (MK and Cal. Adventure). One of the waiters told us that everyone who works in the Disney kitchens attends a 2-day seminar on preparing gluten-free dishes and how to avoid cross-contamination. I am so impressed, but not surprised -- Disney is always top-notch in customer service.

Well, off to the doctors office. Codeine and/or Prednisone are in order.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Wow. What a fantastic trip. I love Disney too. I am glad they were able to Gluten-free you guys.

The kids look like they had a blast.....and the parents!

Sorry you are sick. We have been sick with that as well, but add the barfs and diarrhea to it. I was sick with it for almost 4 weeks. I am officially at 128lbs thanks to the illness. I only have 8 more lbs to go to be under my pre-Cory weight!! It only took 14 years! Whoo hoo virus!

Go get some medicine and snuggle in under the covers for a few days. Hugs!

pam said...

Congrats on the weight! Yukky way to get there, but whatever it takes!

Wish I could snuggle in under the covers, but I leave for New Orleans tomorrow for a political science conference where I am presenting my research. Maybe I can rest after the weekend. Blegh!