Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Viva Las Vegas

This has been a busy month indeed! Both children celebrated their birthdays and my mom celebrated hers six days before B.'s birthday (which is two days before C.'s day). Does that make sense? B. is having her "friend party" this Saturday, but C. had a special day to celebrate -- her sweet 16. Since this is once in a lifetime, I thought I would take her to San Francisco with a side trip included -- she didn't know until we reached the airport that I was taking her to Las Vegas first.

Needless to say, she was thrilled. I had purchased tickets to see The Blue Man Group at the Venetian, where we also had our hotel room. What an amazing trip, and we packed a lot into the 24 hours spent in Vegas. San Francisco will be another post... The Venetian is an amazing place. It is the most opulent hotel I have ever seen in my life, and is the scene for the filming of Rat Race, which is one of my all-time favorite movies. There were gondolas both inside and outside of the hotel, and a zillion-square foot mall is attached to the hotel housing such wares as Gucci, Prada, Tod's, you get the idea. I only gambled twice -- both times at the airport, which yielded me no losses and a total of $23.75 in winnings. We used it for cab fare!

The food we ran across was problematic for celiacs, but the Blue Man Group performance was amazing. They literally rocked the house! Go to YouTube and check out "Rods and Cones." None of the Blue Men ever utters a word, but they are so expressive and funny. There was a "meet and greet" in the lobby after the show, and C. got kisses from two of the guys, and I scored some great pictures for her to put on her Facebook page. Also visited the Wax Museum at the Venetian (part of Madame Tussaud's chain). All in all, we had a wonderful time in Vegas. Next post will cover the antics in San Francisco. Ciao!

C. is the next American Idol.

"I'll make you an offer you can't refuse."

Covered in white streamers and toilet paper for the Blue Man Show.


C. with her new love -- "Blue Man on the left."


C. sporting a second kiss from "Blue Man on the Right."

It's HOT outside of the Venetian (this was only one small portion of the whole thing).




Enjoying a drink at the sushi / seafood place across from the Venetian Blue Man Theatre.

Yes, I know my hand is in the picture -- the view from our hotel room.


At Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum with Johnny Depp.

Just one more of the Jolie-Pitt kids.


The famed slot machine at Las Vegas airport.


Big winner on a one-dollar slot gamble.



Under the "sky" of the mall at the Venetian.

Gondola ride anyone?



Outside yet another section of the Venetian. That place is HUGE!

2 comments:

Jody said...

How fun! Awesome pics!

C looks so grown up now. (sniff) Our first babies are all grown up now,

Can't wait to hear about SF!

Jody said...

How fun! Awesome pics!

C looks so grown up now. (sniff) Our first babies are all grown up now,

Can't wait to hear about SF!