Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fun in San Francisco

After 24 short hours in Las Vegas, we flew to San Francisco to spend 3-1/2 days in weather that was about 30 to 40 degrees less than both Las Vegas and our hometown. How nice to wear a sweater in summer!! First off we went to the Fisherman's Wharf (a classic tourist destination, and one that my 1/4 Dutch child wanted to visit). For those that don't know, the Dutch are born with a constant craving for fish, shellfish and cheese. C. inherited that from her dad's father.
We proceeded to locate the Fisherman's Grotto #9 where we bought 3 pounds of whole crab, one pound of shrimp and two marinated calimari cocktails. I didn't forget the Sutter's Home in the paper bag either! All was consumed in a matter of 30 minutes -- a celiac's delight, I might add. Then we trotted over the Ghirardelli Square for some of the eponymous and famous chocolate (also gluten free). Having secured chocolates to last the whole trip, we made our way back to the Ritz-Carlton (our hotel) to get ready for dinner.

I had scheduled a dinner to top all dinners to celebrate C.'s 16th birthday at the Ritz-Carlton's restaurant. They did not disappoint us. C. said it was the best meal she had ever had -- two courses complemented by a cheese course, different wines with each change of plates and dessert to die for. I told them I had celiac when I made the reservations, and they were very accommodating. To note -- I did not get sick ONCE in San Francisco. Californians are very savvy to peculiar food needs.

The next day, we went back to Fisherman's Wharf for breakfast of (you guessed it) crab, crab and more crab. We then caught a cab over to the Haight for a wacky "Flower Power" tour. The tour guide "Izu" was priceless -- a real throwback from the Summer of Love who looked like Bebe Neuwirth. The group was very small, so we got a great tour of Upper Haight along with some crazy stories that made me glad I was a toddler during that crazy era. She showed us the Grateful Dead house, where Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix lived, where the Oracle was published and the only fire station in the city where they have a Grateful Dead logo on their firetruck. C. and I had a great time -- I would highly recommend this tour for anyone remotely interested in 60s rock. Classic California -- the "Right to Party" ordinance that the Haight's councilmember has proposed. That night we had dinner at Yabbies Coastal Kitchen on Polk. AWESOME food -- we had the New England Clam Bake with lobster, crab, clams, mussels and more of that good California wine.

The next day we went back to (you guessed it) the Wharf and then we visited the Cable Car Museum, which Caitlin enjoyed from her trip ten years ago. We went to Mass at Old St. Mary's Cathedral on California, which was a couple of blocks from the Ritz for the Feast of the Assumption. This little Chinese woman gave us a handful of rosaries. It was a beautiful service with a Paulist priest that looked a lot like our dear Father David. C. said St. Mary's (on the edge of Chinatown) was just like our St. Mary's except that they had Chinese and we have the Latinos! We love that multi-cultural vibe. After Mass we went to Union Square to find the Ed Hardy shop for C. Friday night we went to Zarzuela's and caught the cable car back to the hotel enjoying the ride in the fog and chilled air.

What a wonderful and special trip for the two of us. Next month I am taking my husband back to this lovely city. I just cannot stay away from that place! A side note -- on a trip to SF six years ago, F. asked for my hand in marriage while we were jogging along the Pacific Ocean one morning in September.


Visit #1 of 14 to Fisherman's Grotto #9.


Crab, shrimp and calamari cocktail.


Chocolate central.


A special plate of chocolates awaited C. upon our check-in at the Ritz-Carlton.


Daughter and mother in the Ritz dining room.

Birthday treats for C.



Enjoying the dessert wine.


My dessert -- don't ask me what it was, but it had fruit in it. How uncultured I am.


We came back to find rosepetals on our bed!

Back again -- notice C. standing at the food bar to the right of the trashcan.


Waiting to hop on a cable car at the turnaround.


The old fire station in the Haight.


Look at all the staples on the phone pole in the Haight!!


C. in front of the classic sign.


Me in front of the Grateful Dead house (Izu made me do the peace sign. ugh.) See the fabulous Izu below with the Grateful Dead emblem that is featured on the side of the Haight fire truck.

The inner workings of the cable car system in SF.


Mom and C. in front of the Ritz.


C. found her favorite Ed Hardy shop in Union Square and poses in her regalia.


On the Bay.



Visit #13 of 14 to Fisherman's Grotto #9.


1 comment:

Jody said...

That looks like so much fun. You and C look so happy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY C!!!!!!!

Tell her I LOVE her haircut. It really flatters her gorgeous face.

You and I need to plan a trip like that just for the moms some day soon. I have never been to SF.