This is the scene on my back porch this afternoon. My lovely 16-yr old pointed it out to me.
The boxes you see are the remnants from my internet clothes shopping over the past two weeks. Ok, two of the boxes were for texts ordered from Amazon for school (everyone knows I don't read anything but Public Management and Disaster material, right?). But the rest are clothes boxes --exclusively from totokaelo and metier. I'm not even going to figure dollar value right now, but C. asked me what I had been ordering. Well, those of you with this compulsion understand the need to have that Acne Beadu tank in both black and ecru -- and those awesome Acne Hep jeans in Pray and the White patent Dieppo Restrepas and that gorgeous Isabel Marant plaid tunic and...and...so now it stops.
Two weeks ago, I told my SF (spiritual father) at one of our weekly brain dumps that I was going to give up Diet Coke for Lent. And maybe some of that white wine I love so much. Well, that didn't fly with him. He pointed out that I am the best dressed woman he knows (my pride was activated, of course), perhaps I am spending too much time on my appearance, and maybe I need to simplify my life for Lent. Twenty minutes later, I walked out of our meeting with the direct order from God to stop shopping (and even looking at totokaelo's website!! OMG) for Lent.
For the past two weeks, I have been spending to try to make up for the upcoming fast (insane, isn't it). So there you have the destruction on the back porch. At least I still have my little blog (Laws of General Economy) and ebay where I can sell all the excess I have accumulated.
I am somewhat relieved, to tell you the truth. Looking at all the new Watanabes on the toto site was killing me slowly. And actually, this comes at a good time. I have one book chapter to write (yes, I am going to be published this fall!!) and three papers for publication. I also am sitting for my comps in six months. I need to work -- not shop.
Wish me luck -- Ash Wednesday is tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:
Those clothes are so cute, I love them. They are very alternative and fun. I want the MM6 by Martin Margiela Baggy Belted Pant. Holy cow they are cute.
I also want with a passion the Future Classics Raglan Jacket, Tom Scott Zip Back Sheer, Y's by Yohji Yamamoto Slim Rib Pullover, Isabel Marant Garnet Trouser.....that outfit is so my style. Love it.
You are a bad influence. So I have to join to see the prices? Yikes.
I knew you'd like it. We do have very similar styles except I do NOT wear string bikinis under any circumstance!!! Also, I should just save my money and buy a sailboat like some people :)
Post a Comment